Hue v2.0.1, aka Hue 2, released June 4, 2012
This is the release of Hue 2.0.1, a major upgrade from previous Hue releases.
Hue 2.0.1 is compatible with CDH4 (Cloudera’s Distribution Including Apache
Note that Hue 2 is versioned as 2.0.1 instead of 2.0.0 in order to be lexicographically
greater than 2.0.0-beta.
- Frontend has been re-implemented as full screen pages. Whole page loading has
replaced the old “desktop” model. In this process, the new frontend is
rewritten with jQuery and Bootstrap. This fixes memory leaks in older
browsers. This also breaks compatibility of Hue SDK applications. (HUE-585,
- Hue accesses HDFS via WebHDFS or HttpFS. It no longer requires the Hue plugin
on the NameNode and DataNodes. (HUE-610)
- Hue submits MapReduce jobs via Oozie. This fixes a security hole in the
previous scheme of Hue directly running the client job jar. (HUE-611)
- Hue supports LDAP (OpenLDAP and Active Directory). Hue can be configured to
authenticate against LDAP. Additionally, Hue can import users and groups from
LDAP, and refresh group membership from LDAP. (HUE-607, HUE-614, HUE-615)
- Hue supports per-application authorization. Administrators can grant or limit
group access to applications. (HUE-608)
- Hue has a new Shell application. Administrators can configure the types of
shells (e.g. Pig, HBase, Flume) to be exposed by the Shell app. (HUE-141)
- Hue runs on the Spawning web server by default, instead of the CherryPy web
server, in order to provide asynchronous connection I/O for the Shell
- Hue File Browser supports decoding Avro data files. (HUE-1)
- Hue uses Maven to build its Java source. (HUE-424)
- Beeswax reduces its memory usage and allows configuration of maximum query
result lifetime. (HUE-564)
- Hue installations can be made relocatable by invoking a script. (HUE-593)
- Refactor of Hue desktop for enabling plugable SDK apps. SDK docs have been updated.
Notable Bug Fixes
- HUE-238. beeswax: result from “limit” query unavailable
- HUE-438. Making beeswax dependent on hive install
- HUE-457. Filebrowser cannot delete directories with spaces in the name
- HUE-506. Jobs submitted through Hue do not set LANG
- HUE-526. Clicking “Browse Table” on a Hive View in Beeswax launches MR job
- HUE-534. JobBrowser does not impersonate logged in user while killing or viewing jobs
- HUE-550. Switching to LIFO queue for Thrift connection pool
- HUE-551. Support a wider set of username characters
- HUE-553. Thrift pooled client is not thread safe
- HUE-555. Build should not require a system python-setuptools
- HUE-584. Shade Thrift jar
- HUE-586. log files have wrong permission
- HUE-606. Error when browsing a table with too many partitions
- HUE-624. [jobbrowser] Non-ascii character in job name causes error
- HUE-640. kt_renewer workaround for krb compat is a race
- HUE-627. Spawning server pegs CPU at 100%
- HUE-698. Shell app does not work with a secured cluster
Many usability bugs and glitches in the UI were fixed after the beta. In addition,
the 100% CPU bug was resolved, Spawning server was made non blocking for all
REST calls (e.g. HDFS, Beeswax calls) and secured clusters are now better supported.
Hue 2.0.1 runs on CentOS versions 5 to 6, and Ubuntu 10.04 to 11.10.
Hue 2.0.1 is compatible with CDH4. Specifically:
- File Browser depends on Hadoop 0.23 (for WebHDFS/HttpFS).
- Beeswax is tested against Hive 0.8.1.
- Job Browser depends on MR1 (for the JobTracker plugin).
- Job Browser does not work with Yarn/MR2.
- Job Designer depends on Oozie, using the Oozie web service API.
Upgrading from Hue 1.2.0 is supported, with the following caveats:
- Hue’s configuration file has changed regarding the specification of the HDFS
cluster, MR1 cluster and Yarn cluster. You also need to configure the Oozie
URL for Job Designer. Please see the
link:../manual.html[Hue Installation Guide] for more.
- Hue by defaults run on port 8888, not 8088.
- Hue 2.0.0 uses a different model for job designs. Old job designs will be
automatically converted in a best effort. After the upgrade, the user may need
to fill in more information (e.g. the Java main class) about their job
- Custom Hue SDK applications will not render correctly in Hue 2.x, because the
Bootstrap. The 2.0.1 release provide instruction on porting
SDK applications from Hue 1.x.
- Uploads with HttpFs in a federated cluster fail (HUE-742).
- Setting up the Job Designer examples might fail with HttpFs (HUE-745).
List of All Commits
This Hue release is made possible thanks to the contribution from:
- Aaron Newton
- Aaron T. Myers
- Aditya Acharya
- Alex Newman
- Andrew Bayer
- Andrew Yao
- Ann McCown
- bc Wong
- Ben Bishop
- Bruce Mitchener
- Bruno Mahé
- Eli Collins
- Enrico Berti
- Eric Wong
- Harsh J
- Henry Robinson
- Jon Natkins
- Lars Francke
- Loren Siebert
- Marcus McLaughlin
- Mike Cotton
- Paul Battaglia
- Philip Zeyliger
- Romain Rigaux
- Roman Shaposhnik
- Shawn Van Ittersum
- Shrijeet Paliwal
- Thomas Aylott
- Todd Lipcon
- Vinithra Varadharajan